Sunday, August 4, 2013

When the Tough Get Cancer the Tough Quilt!

I sat in the parking lot stunned. Really? I kept saying "really" over and over thinking what I heard wasn't really what I'd heard. But it was so, I had a large tumor in my breast and the doctor said it had to come out within a month.
I called the engineer he immediately started coming up with solutions while I hadn't even thought of the problems that he was coming up with solutions for! I know that's what engineers do best so I let him call the kids while I drove home in silence.
A few days later, I was still saying "really" and still didn't want to talk about it. I needed a distraction so I did what any quilter would do, QUILT! I turned off my cell phone, turned up my music and I put together two quilts in two days! 

This is a picture of Robert Kaufman's Best Dressed, Sweet Pea which I used for the main block of the quilt. I chose this print for my niece Becky who loves to design and draw dresses. 
  
                                  

I used a kaleidoscope ruler to cut the eight pieces of the main block and added the pink corners to end up with a square block.
 It was early evening, I was on a roll and wasn't thinking about the cancer news, I couldn't stop sewing and decided to finish this top before I went to bed. You can see I did, about 11:30 pm I dropped exhausted into bed with a great feeling of accomplishment. Here's the top on the guest bed.

A corner close up of the pink and black fabric that blended so well with Dress Up. 

I wasn't planning on quilting the next day, however I woke up feeling so invigorated and the sewing room was calling me. I started a quilt back in March and put it away when I didn't have the patience to square up the 9 patches. Do you ever get stuck on a step then end up shelving the project for a while?  I pulled out the pieces thinking it would take all day to square them up and within an hour I was adding the black and pink borders. Time was flying! Off to the guest bed for the layout which bent my mind a bit, its so easy to make a mistake. I recommend a layout wall or bed, if you don't have those available a big floor is the next best thing.

In this picture you can see the nine squares with the black and pink borders, they make up the center of the quilt.

The original directions didn't include the black border but the engineer suggested it and I'm glad he did, I think it enhances the orange and outside border.

On a side note when I finished this quilt the engineer said in his most polite tone.
"Will you feel bad if I don't snuggle under this quilt with you?"
"What? You don't like this quilt?? I asked.
"I like your work but I have a problem with pink and orange together." He said.
"I just don't think pink and orange go together."
Our nieces came by and I'd been worrying that I made a quilt for one and not the other so I asked Hannah what her favorite colors were,
She replied, "red, orange, pink, black and gold."
The engineer and I gave each other knowing smiles, we knew where this quilt was going. It was bittersweet gift as this fabric made me sing. I makes Hannah sing too.


Here it is quilted, finished and washed.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!